Click here to go to the Riccarton High School Careerwise site.
Riccarton High School has a school-wide career development programme. It is a student-centred, holistic approach where the staff and parents/whanau, led by a specialist Careers Adviser, work together in the best interests of every student.
The Careers team of Vanessa Kidd (Acting Careers Adviser) and Jane Hall (Careers Assistant, STAR Coordinator) is available to students and their parents or caregivers.
Career Planning is a lifelong process. Riccarton High School students take important steps along the way.
Career Development Strategies:
- individual career development interviews each year
- counselling for career problems and decision-making
- some testing, to help you find suitable career options
- information about careers and training providers
- careers library of books and videos
- online information and career tools
- work experience placements
- courses to help you make decisions
- career planning courses
- noticeboards and newsletters
- assistance with CV preparation
- interview preparation
- assistance with job applications
- information on scholarships and help with applications
Students can expect:
- short and regular appointments as necessary
- tasks to complete in order to help solve career problems
- reliable and up-to-date information and advice on career matters
- challenges to make them think, and encourage them to take all the necessary steps in order to reach potential
- Career Events are listed in the Calendar.
- STAR Courses [Secondary Tertiary Alignment Resource] are a great opportunity for senior students to have a taste of a tertiary programme and a tertiary provider while they are at school. Course fees are met through the Ministry of Education.