Waimea College

Covid-19

Kia ora, you will find all our information and updates on Covid-19 on this page. 

Health and Safety Plan Under Covid Alert Level 2

A considerable amount of thought and work has gone into developing our plan which aligns itself with the relevant protocols, directives and guidelines from the Ministries of Health and Education. If you have any concerns, please do not hesitate in getting in contact.

Click here to access The Health and Safety Plan for Covid-19 Alert Level 2 at Riccarton High School.\

The school has plentiful supplies of soap and alcohol based sanitiser. Students with sensitive skin are asked to bring their own product.

We have been advised by the Ministry of Education that it is now safe for students to return to school. We are aware however that some students may be concerned that they fit into the ‘vulnerable’ category for Covid 19. If you are unsure whether your child should be attending school, we encourage you to consult with your family doctor.

A reminder, if your child is unwell, please do not send them to school. Please ring our absence line: 348-5073 ext 821 or email RT@riccarton.school.nz.

NCEA Operational Changes

Going forward, the wellbeing of our students and staff remains at the forefront of our planning. For our senior students, teachers will be reviewing their assessment programmes for the remainder of 2020, ensuring that they are not disadvantaged in terms of opportunities to achieve a qualification this year, while also avoiding a situation where people are feeling overwhelmed. At a national level, the New Zealand Qualifications Authority has already made some decisions, namely;

We will continue to update you on any further changes that NZQA makes as a result of the Covid-19 situation.

School Calendar: Remainder of Term 2

We are busy reviewing our events calendar and this will be communicated as soon as it is confirmed. At this stage, it is important to note that our focus will be clearly on teaching and learning with events that take students out of class kept to a minimum.

One calendar item scheduled for early term 3 that has been changed is our Senior Formal, which was to be held on Saturday 25th July. With so many unknowns around sizes of gatherings etc., we have made the decision to postpone it until Saturday 12 September. It will be held at the Russley Golf Club and we look forward to sharing more information about this event closer to the date.

We were of course very excited about the prospect of running our junior camps this term at Orohaki, our new outdoor education in North Canterbury. Obviously, the camps have been postponed and our plan is to reschedule them for term 4 so that our Year 9 and 10 students still get to be the first groups to experience this wonderful asset.

Last updated 24/05/2020