Reaching out for support
Here are some simple things you and your whānau can do to deal with the challenges of distance learning.
- Connection is the best thing right now – especially within our families, and most definitely towards our children. Make connection your daily priority, regularly checking in with your children and other family members.
- We could all take a break from the news and social media and do the small things we enjoy: cook a meal, step outside for some fresh air, make a cup of tea and take a break to enjoy it.
- It’s normal for your son or daughter to feel worried at times and it helps if they can talk to others that are able to listen.
Helping deal with stress and anxiety
Share this with your kids - this is a great YouTube video of Attitude's presenters Brayden and Robbie talking about stress and anxiety in Attitude’s classic entertaining, informative and inclusive way.
How to reach a Counsellor or Youth Worker:
Our counsellors are checking their emails daily - in the morning and in the afternoon and will respond to you directly by email. Be assured, that all conversations will be kept confidential.
The Counsellors are working alongside our 24/7 Youth Workers throughout the lock-down period.
Guidance team contacts
Chris Singh SI@riccarton.school.nz
Lara Grocott GT@riccarton.school.nz
Anne McKenzie MCK@riccarton.school.nz
Where to get help outside of school hours:
- Lifeline – 0800 543 354
- Asian Helpline – 0800 862 342
- Suicide Crisis Helpline – 0508 828 865 (0508 TAUTOKO)
- Youthline – 0800 376 633 or free text 234
- Depression Helpline – 0800 111 757 or free text 4202
- Samaritans – 0800 726 666
- Need to talk? Free call or text 1737 support from trained counsellor
- What's Up – 0800 942 8787 (5–18 year olds). Phone counselling Mon to Fri, midday –11pm and weekends, 3pm–11pm.
- Kidsline – 0800 54 37 54 for young people up to 18 years of age. Open 24/7.
- thelowdown.co.nz – or firstname.lastname@example.org or free text 5626
- Anxiety New Zealand - 0800 269 4389
- Child, Adolescent & Family (CAF) Mental Health Service 0800 218 219 - press 2
- Crisis mental health care, Freephone 0800 920 092, (24 hours, 7 days a week)
- If it is an emergency or you, or someone you know, is at immediate risk call 111