Riccarton High School has a school-wide career development programme. It is a student-centred, holistic approach where the staff and parents/whanau, led by a specialist Careers Adviser, work together in the best interests of every student.
Career Planning is a lifelong process. Riccarton High School students take important steps along the way.
CAREER DEVELOPMENT STRATEGIES:
- individual career development interviews each year
- counselling for career problems and decision-making
- some testing, to help you find suitable career options
- information about careers and training providers
- careers library of books and videos
- online information and career tools
- work experience placements
- courses to help you make decisions
- career planning courses
- noticeboards and newsletters
- assistance with CV preparation
- interview preparation
- assistance with job applications
- information on scholarships and help with applications
STUDENTS CAN EXPECT:
- short and regular appointments as necessary
- tasks to complete in order to help solve career problems
- reliable and up-to-date information and advice on career matters
- challenges to make them think, and encourage them to take all the necessary steps in order to reach potential
- Career Events are listed in the Calendar.
- STAR Courses [Secondary Tertiary Alignment Resource] are a great opportunity for senior students to have a taste of a tertiary programme and a tertiary provider while they are at school. Course fees are met through the Ministry of Education.